Until the age of six months, if your baby is breastfed only, this is ideal because breast milk contains all the nutrients needed to grow during this time.
However, once your child is over six months old, they will not only be ready for new foods, but will also need them for their growth and development.
While parents are generally inclined to fruits and vegetables for high fiber food sources for their children, oats are also a great food that can be served to your child.
Are oats good for children?
Oats are a great food for children because they are high in fiber and can be easily digested.
It is also a good source of energy for your child and it is very light compared to Rice .
They also found that they had the fewest cases of allergic reactions among the pills available.
However, it is advisable to consult your child’s pediatrician before starting to give him oats to rule out any side effects.
When can your child start to eat oats?
You can start giving oats to your baby as early as six months old.
Simple oatmeal recipes can be given to children Fruits and vegetables.
But, make sure you don’t hate food once for your child.
Health Benefits of Oats for Infants
Oats contain many health benefits, especially for babies.
Some of them:
Rich in minerals
Oats contain the minerals necessary for your baby’s growth, such as calcium, iron, zinc, and phosphorus.
Potassium and sodium and magnesium.
Calcium and phosphorus help build bones, iron increases the amount of hemoglobin in the body, and potassium and sodium help strengthen nerve functions in the body.
Magnesium is very important to generate energy, as well as improve the dental and bone in infants.
Good source of vitamins
The presence of vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin B, 6, vitamin K, vitamin E, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin makes oats an essential supplement for the growth and development of your baby.
- High levels of antioxidants
Antioxidants can reduce the risk of free radicals in the body and are an essential part of children’s diets.
Besides minerals and vitamins, oats are also rich in antioxidants that are important for the child.
A good source of energy
Each 100 gram of oatmeal provides children with 400 calories.
This energy is needed for developing infants and also to aid their growth spurts.
Easy to digest
Oats contain a large amount of dietary fiber which is excellent for the stool, which helps digestion easily.
This quality is also ideal for children because it is Digestive Always developing.
The types of oats your child can eat
Several types of oats are safe for children.
- Oatmeal for children is available as flour and should only be mixed with milk or water.
- Natural oatmeal that can be cooked and mixed into a soft dough.
- Instant oatmeal is easy to cook and pre-cut.
Oatmeal should be cooked first with boiling water for at least five or six minutes.
Also, oats can be given solid pieces. Although it is not easy to find, it is known to be extremely delicious.
Oatmeal recipes for kids
If you plan to introduce oats to your child, here’s how to prepare them using these simple recipes.
1. Oatmeal porridge with apples
- Boil ¼ cup of regular oats with a glass of water 1. You can put the oatmeal powder and boil it until it is consistent. Continue to stir regularly to prevent combustion.
- Peel an apple and cut it.
- Once the oats are cooked, add the apple and mix well. You can cook the mixture longer or let it cool.
- Serve it to your baby as soon as he cools down
2. A simple recipe for oatmeal porridge
- Boil half a cup of oats in a cup of water and cook well.
- Mix this porridge with milk and serve as soon as it cools.
3. Bananas and Oats Recipe
- Cook a cup of oats in a cup of water until they are cooked and reach the consistency.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Old when cooling.
What to remember when giving oats to your child
Consider the following points before you introduce oats to your child.
- Start solid food after six months of breastfeeding regularly to avoid adverse reactions to food. Unless given other instructions by the doctor.
- Select the type of oats that are made in semi-cut or steel.
- Boil oats appropriately for 20 to 30 minutes or a little longer for children, to soften them and make them easy to digest.
- Give your baby oats regularly for the first time and check for an allergic reaction. If they are not, you can continue to feed their oats with fruit additives. If she has a reaction, see a doctor immediately.
Oatmeal for kids is a great addition when you’re ready to try solid foods.
Remember to introduce new foods to your child gradually and after consulting your pediatrician.
Try to provide organic foods for your child as much as possible to get the most out of it.
Dema JS is the founder of newbabysmell.com and a mother of two little kids.
Dema had her MBA from St. John’s University- NYC in dual concentrations: Executive Management and Marketing Management.